Think about the last mistake you made. Now, see how this list can help you get beyond that mistake.
- Admit your mistake. This isn't to show you are a better person. It's to show that you are human and you have faults. Sometimes publicly admitting your mistakes helps you overcome them.
- Respond directly and publicly to the most vocal objections. If someone is out to exploit your error, this can take the wind out of their sails.
- Give people a channel to vent. Sometimes people just need to be heard. If it is a customer you have wronged, let them speak.
- Do something right. The timing of your correction can be extremely powerful. Don't wait to respond. Make it right.
- Don't make the same mistake again. Turn it into a learning experience, not just for you but for your team (if you are a leader). Even if you are part of the front line staff, others will observe your behavior and could possibly benefit from your mistake.
Sounds easy right? It all depends on how you handle yourself following the mistake. Take responsibility, respond, make it right and move on.