Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Using a lifeline

I was listening to a recent Disney podcast while driving home from work. This one is known for its humor, insight and every now and then, great nuggets of wisdom that can be applied to numerous situations.

One such bit that transpired centered around how Disney appeals to all generations and that part of what they do is to attract new guests. One of the panelists was talking about taking their kids and someone else's kids to Disney. He said, "Every child today is a potential customer tomorrow."

Here's another way to look at it from a business perspective.

Today's phone call is tomorrow's customer.

Can you honestly say you have enough customers? Is your phone your lifeline?

In a follow up to an earlier post on how not to handle a personal phone call while working, this is a great approach to have each time the telephone rings. Whether it is a slow day or the busiest day of the year you should treat each telephone call as a potential sale. You don't know who is going to be on the other end of the phone line. Yes, with Caller ID being so popular you may know who it is. But you might not know what they are asking for.

Do you ignore the phone when you have a customer/guest with you? Maybe it's time you learned how to multitask efficiently. Go ahead and answer the phone. It could be the difference between success and failure.

3 comments:

  1. David, remember when we were talking about blog comments the other day? Visit Lee Cockerell's blog.

    Comments do not reveal readership.

    They may reveal something else, like relationship.

    You and I are case in point, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent case in point.

    I will admit that I felt I had a stronger connection with Mary.

    Odd how things have turned out the way they have, fellow social media geek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey David,
    Off-topic from your post, but on-topic with your link.
    I've listened to WDWToday now for 5 years, since they started. I was a WDW podcast geek for a loooooong time, especially while I had a CAD job when I sat at the computer drawing all day. Now, I can't listen to them at the computer so much, anymore. But WDWToday is the one that I still listen to religiously.
    I was a DPNer for a bit, as well as a Sorcerer Radio guy. But, that all passed (mainly due to time contraints).
    I'll still catch others from time to time. But WDWToday is at the top of the list. It's fun and not too long.

    I look forward to reading your stuff! I'm a customer service believer. It still applies to my work, but not as obvious as someone in retail, a customer service job, or an entrepreneur.

    Great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete